COVID-19 RURAL DIGEST
APRIL 9, 2020
The emergence of COVID-19 has caused an almost unprecedented amount of change in the framework surrounding rural care. The CORH team is dedicated to providing regular updates on this evolving situation to healthcare leaders across the country.
As the pandemic unfolds, we foresee sending out updates twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays with new developments.
CDC’s Number of Confirmed Cases of Covid-19 (04.09): 395,011
CDC’s Number of Confirmed Deaths due to Covid-19 (04.09): 12,754
See a city-by-city map of confirmed cases: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
CMS announces $34 Billion for Providers with the Accelerated/Advance Payment Program for Medicare Provider
- CMS has implemented a new process to accelerate the payment process to 4-6 days.
- Payments available to Part A and Part B providers.
- Additionally, CMS announced advanced payments to hospitals of up to 6 months of Medicare reimbursements.
- Find guide to receiving payments: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/Accelerated-and-Advanced-Payments-Fact-Sheet.pdf
- Read More: https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-releases/cms-approves-approximately-34-billion-providers-acceleratedadvance-payment-program-medicare
CMS announces new wave of infection control guidance based
- CMS has released guidance for healthcare providers to prevent the spread of COVID-19 at CAHS, dialysis facilities, and other locations.
- Find the guidance here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/critical-workers/implementing-safety-practices.html
- Read more: https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-releases/cms-issues-new-wave-infection-control-guidance-based-cdc-guidelines-protect-patients-and-healthcare
HRSA constantly updating FAQ on changing rural situation
- Find the full FAQ: https://www.hrsa.gov/rural-health/coronavirus-frequently-asked-questions
NARHC releases guidance on legislation for rural health clinics during
- The National Association of Rural Health Clinics hosted a webinar to describe the changing legislative landscape for RHCs.
- Topics include: bill for telehealth, virtual check-in visits and e-visits, Medicare Advanced payments, the new Paycheck Protection Loan program, the Provider Lost Revenue Relief.
- Find the recording: https://www.web.narhc.org/narhc/Surviving_Covid-19_Webinar.asp
HRSA to release $1.3 billion in funding the for community health centers
- To support the maintenance of primary care during the COVID-19 crisis, CMS will provide increased funding to community health.
- Applications have closed but may reopen at a later date.
- Read summary: https://www.modernhealthcare.com/community-health-centers/hhs-give-13-billion-community-health-centers
- Read more: https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020/04/08/hhs-awards-billion-to-health-centers-in-historic-covid19-response.html
The HRSA/FORHP-supported Telehealth Resource Centers created a central site with policy updates, state-by-state resources, and best practice guides
- Find the site: https://www.telehealthresourcecenter.org/covid-19-resources/
- Additionally, the state of Hawaii released a short video on telehealth best practices: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdTc2Wbi_Ag&feature=youtu.be