COVID-19 RURAL DIGEST
APRIL 7, 2020
The emergence of COVID-19 has caused an almost unprecedented amount of change in the framework surrounding rural care. The CORH team is dedicated to providing regular updates on this evolving situation to healthcare leaders across the country.
As the pandemic unfolds, we foresee sending out updates twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays with new developments.
CDC’s Number of Confirmed Cases of Covid-19 (04.07): 330,891
CDC’s Number of Confirmed Deaths due to Covid-19 (04.07): 8,910
See a city-by-city map of confirmed cases: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
Hospitals are advised to warn patients, community against using chloroquine phosphate to for COVID-19 prevention and treatment
- The FDA has continually issued guidance against the use of chloroquine phosphate for the prevention or treatment of COVID-19.
- This drug is normally found for fish aquarium use, and hospitals are strongly advised to warn patients against its use.
- Read More: https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/product-safety-information/fda-letter-stakeholders-do-not-use-chloroquine-phosphate-intended-fish-treatment-covid-19-humans
FCC announced $200 million in funding for telehealth programs
- The FCC has announced an initiative to fund expansions of telehealth programs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Application is expected to open any day; check https://www.grants.gov for the application when it opens.
- Read more: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-363498A1.pdf
Medicaid releases more guidance on Medicaid and CHIP during COVID-19 pandemic
- To guide state agencies CMS has released an FAQ during the covid-19 crisis.
- Read full list: https://www.medicaid.gov/state-resource-center/downloads/covid-19-faqs.pdf
USDA announces second round for telemedicine and distance learning grants
- Previously, the USDA had announced funding to provide rural access to the healthcare.
- The USDA has expanded the scope of the grant to train health providers in telemedicine and other tactics to respond to COVID-19 pandemic.
- Read More: https://www.usda.gov/media/press-releases/2020/04/03/usda-announces-second-application-window-distance-learning-and
- Applications available: https://www.grants.gov/
CDC announces weekly reporting system on the spread of the COVID-19 epidemic