COVID-19 RURAL DIGEST
MAY 27, 2020
Reminder: Providers Must Act by June 3, 2020 to Receive Additional Relief Fund General Distribution Payment
- Eligible providers that they have until June 3, 2020, to accept the Terms and Conditions and submit their revenue information to support receiving an additional.
- All providers who automatically received an additional General Distribution payment prior to 5:00 pm, Friday, April 24th, must provide HHS with an accounting of their annual revenues by submitting tax forms or financial statements.
- Read more: https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020/05/20/providers-must-act-june-3-2020-receive-additional-relief-fund-general-distribution-payment.html
HHS Announces Nearly $4.9 Billion Distribution to Nursing Facilities Impacted by COVID-19
- This funding, which supplements previously announced provider relief funds, will be used to support nursing homes suffering from significant expenses or lost revenue attributable to COVID-19
- Read CDC guidelines for SNFs: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/long-term-care.html
- Read CMS guidelines for SNFs: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/covid-toolkit-states-mitigate-covid-19-nursing-homes.pdf
- Read more on provider reimbursements: gov/providerrelief
USDA to Provide $1 Billion in Loan Guarantees for Rural Businesses and Ag Producers
- CARES Act Program loans must be used as working capital to prevent, prepare for or respond to the effects of the coronavirus pandemic. The loans may be used only to support rural businesses.
- See the USDA’s public notice: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2020-05-22/pdf/2020-11242.pdf
- For application and more information contact the proper state USDA office: https://www.rd.usda.gov/contact-us/state-offices
Trump Administration Announces Changes to Medicare Advantage and Part D to Provide Better Coverage and Increase Access for Medicare Beneficiaries
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services today finalized requirements that will increase access to telehealth for seniors in Medicare Advantage (MA) plans, expand the types of supplemental benefits available for beneficiaries with an MA plan who have chronic diseases, provide support for more MA.
- These rules give beneficiaries with ESRD more coverage choices in the Medicare program. Previously, beneficiaries with ESRD were only allowed to enroll in MA plans in limited circumstances.
- Read more: https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-releases/trump-administration-announces-changes-medicare-advantage-and-part-d-provide-better-coverage-and
- Read the full rules: https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-sheets/contract-year-2021-medicare-advantage-and-part-d-final-rule-cms-4190-f1-fact-sheet
HHS Announces $500 Million Distribution to Tribal Hospitals, Clinics, and Urban Health Centers
- Combined with previous funding, this distribution brings the total amount of new resources to the Indian health system to $2.4 billion dollars.
- IHS and tribal hospitals will receive a $2.81 million base payment plus three percent of their total operating expenses
- IHS and tribal clinics and programs will receive a $187,000 base payments plus five percent of the estimated service population multiplied by the average cost per user
- IHS urban programs will receive a $181,000 base payment plus six percent of the estimated service population multiplied by the average cost per user
- Read more: https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020/05/22/hhs-announces-500-million-distribution-to-tribal-hospitals-clinics-and-urban-health-centers.html
Nearly Half Of Adults Say They Or A Family Member Have Deferred Medical Care Due To The Coronavirus Outbreak
- A study by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that many Americans are putting off necessary healthcare during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Healthcare providers are warned to prepare for a ‘wave’ of patients seeking delayed treatment.
- However due to economic losses, many individuals will use public funding sources e.g. Medicare and Medicaid damaging the payment mix of hospitals.
- Read the full analysis: https://www.kff.org/report-section/kff-health-tracking-poll-may-2020-health-and-economic-impacts/