COVID-19 RURAL DIGEST
APRIL 29, 2020
The emergence of COVID-19 has caused an almost unprecedented amount of change in the framework surrounding rural care. The CORH team is dedicated to providing regular updates on this evolving situation to healthcare leaders across the country.
As the pandemic unfolds, we foresee sending out updates weekly on Wednesdays with new developments.
As of 4/29/2020, the CDC’s Number of Confirmed Cases of COVID-19: 981,246
As of 4/29/2020, the CDC’s Number of Confirmed Cases of COVID-19: 55,258
CMS Reevaluates Accelerated Payment Program and Suspends Advance Payment Program
- CMS had expanded these temporary loan programs to ensure providers and suppliers had the resources needed to combat the beginning stages of COVID-19.
- Significant additional funding will continue to be available to hospitals and other healthcare providers through other programs.
- Find more information: https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-releases/cms-reevaluates-accelerated-paym. ent-program-and-suspends-advance-payment-program
HHS Launches COVID-19 Uninsured Program Portal
- As part of the CARES Act, health care providers can request claims reimbursement electronically through the COVID-19 Uninsured Program Portal.
- Find the portal: https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/cares-act-provider-relief-fund/index.html
- Read more: https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020/04/27/hhs-launches-covid19-uninsured-program-portal.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=4272020&utm_term=funding&utm_campaign=Covid19-uninsured-program-portal-launch
CDC to award COVID-19 assistance funds
- CDC is awarding $631 million to 64 jurisdictions in support of the COVID-19 response.
- Funding intended to implement aggressive contact tracing, surveillance, and testing will be fundamental to protecting vulnerable populations.
- Read more: https://homelandprepnews.com/stories/48148-cdc-to-award-covid-19-assistance-funds/
Not all masks are made the same
- Large portions of the country are still facing shortages in PPE; leading some health systems to use masks not up to safety standards.
- Prior to purchasing PPE ensure that it meets the minimal standards set out by the CDC.
- Read CDC standards: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/using-ppe.html
- Read more: https://khn.org/news/widely-used-surgical-masks-are-putting-health-care-workers-at-serious-risk/
USDA announces Farm and Ranch Stress Assistance Network Grants
- Farm and Ranch Stress Assistance Network (FRSAN) Program provides grants to initiate, expand, or sustain programs that provide behavioral health counseling, referral, and other forms of assistance for agricultural workers in crisis.
- Funding can be used for farm telephone helplines and websites, training programs and workshops among others.
- Apply for the grant: https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=326533